Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Friend In Need ..


Whenever I get into a situation where I'm helping someone, I usually tend to trample on my family or other friends feet in the process. Not intentionally but more out of the habit of wanting to give it my all (A supposed Aquarian trait but I question that) Its a quality that has given me some great friends and also one that has me in strife with my family, especially my mum, on a lot of occassions.

However, it has always intrigued me how much people are willing to do for others. I personally have witnessed some amazing acts of kindness and support. But more confronting acts of selfishness and blatant disregard for human emotion. I mean, a simple task of getting someone the morning paper can be termed as sucking up instead of a helping hand. And there are others where someone supports a family by letting them live under the same roof while said family has restoration done to their own home.

I sometimes wonder does it really come down to the culture for people to help others and be respectful. In Australia, you are surrounded by so many different cultures and yet certain characteristics are teamed with certain races. Some can be positive like being the best hosts and others are bad like being the worst drivers. For the most part, "shouts" or paying for a get together is declared in Aussie culture.This isn't regarded disrespectful, just cautious. In others, if you are organising an event, its the hosts duty to provide for their guests. Does being precautious come with a price of being called stand-offish or arrogant towards people that are your friends? And what is the limit?

This is just an example. I personally know a person that is struggling with debt and as a group, help has been provided. But then the question rose as to how far will we go? Now, in my circumstance, I've known said friend all my life. But even I feel that her problems never seem to end. Does this make me a bad friend?. To many, this is normal. But for my mother, I should help her in any which way.

So in todays day and age, what does it take to get a helping hand for the sake of it? and not for something in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who's Online