Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baby's Breaths of Cinema That I Adore

Ok, now I know some are going to ask about the title. It goes back to the lotus/flower connection. When I am given flowers or are giving them, florists generally use greenery and/or babies breath as a filler. In essence, the main attraction is the roses. But this post is a dedication to some of my fav babies breaths of cinema i.e. sidekicks. Some are comedians, some are character artists and some are just junior artists. But in all, sometimes the proceedings were made interesting because of these people [in some they are the only ones worth watching].



During a time that I wasn't even born in, this man rocked the screens. He's a comedian/character artist/villain/hero etc.. Two words to simplify. Amazing performer! His most famous works are not in my collection but of some that I have seen, Nagesh was an all in all. I loved him in Nammavar, hated him Apoorva Sahodhargal (Appu Raja in Hindi and Telugu) and found him hilarious in Thiruvilaiyaadal. His close relation with Kamal Haasan proved to be a treat for the viewers eyes. A man that would be sorely missed and will forever remain in the hearts and minds of many.


Let's jump over to Telugu and the first name of a sidekick that I think about from an era that had the famous four ruling is someone that's doing well on forefront too now. I still remember him in Premaku Velayera as the forgetfull GM. Srihari maybe doing character role of late that seem to be all speaking with the same accent [Telengana I believe but dont quote me] but he's just a powerhouse performer in any role you give him. Whether its the sentimental brother in NVNV [as pictured, courtesy of Nikki] or the gunda-Bhai in King, he's just that character. An actor that I believe has still not shown his true potential, his pull with the audience still grows.


Sudhakar isn't acting anymore but I thought I'd given him a mention for those who have seen him in Tamil and Telugu as a hero and comedian. Piccha Kottudu Sudhakar [Athisaya Pravi/Yamudiki Mogudu] as some know has by far the most hilarious voice I have heard. And that too without trying to caricature funny. There are very few actors I eagerly anticipate their on-screen beating, just for the reactive acting after Koundamani and Senthil. He's worked with so many actors but whether its Chiranjeevi, Rajnikanth or Bharathiraaja, he is one that stands his ground and moulds with all.



Amongst the actor-comedian bunch, is a actor-comedian-director. Manivannan can be downright nasty or a total sweetheart on screen. In real-life this actor is described as a teddy bear. One thing about Mani that I love is that his acting is the kind that can be menacing yet has a comical element to it, much like his bestie Sathyaraj. Their combination is also one that has me in splits especially Maaman Magal. To me, he may not the prettiest rose in the bouquet, he's deinifitely not your ordinary thorn.


From one sweetheart to another, Sunil was never just a comedian. Whichever actor you see him with, fellow comedian Brahmanandam or Megastar Chiranjeevi, he always has a way of standing out. As much as he made me laugh, he made me cry when his dying scene in Mass came up [Sad, I know, but thats how involved I get]. Andala Ramudu was a turning point for this unconventional hero in TFI. Maryada Ramana cemented his status as one. Now while I still haven't gotten over Raye Raye, he is gettin ready for his third venture as lead in Katha, Screenplay, Dasrakathvam Appalraju with RGV. All I can say is if its showing here in Sydney, I am sooo watching it.



From established to upcoming, Karthik Sabesh is pretty lucky with a dual intro in Tamil and Telugu. For those who don't know, this is the actor I mentioned in my Kadhal Solla Vanthen Review. He has also acted in Thakita Thakita as Subz. I know I have already said I wanted to see more of him but this was more apprent in Thakita Thakita than Kadhal Solla Vanthen. The latter had him standing step by step alongside with Balaji but the latter lost him in a confusing screenplay. I'm hoping that he doesn't get lost in the big world of cinema.



Venu is one actor I adore for one film, Munna. He has been in others and noticeable too but whenever I see him, I always think back to the bike scene. Although his entire track in Munna is worth more than a mention since I found it to be the lifeline that tries to save the film. But that's a different matter. I do, however, intend on watching the other 30 odd films he's been in.

What do I say about Tanikella Bharani? He's awesome which pretty much sums it. Whatever the role, comical or not, this man is all out and his voice modulation is super supportive too. I did not want him in Azhagiya Thamizh Magan as I knew he'd have nothing to do but more because of the dubbing. And as feared, the movie released and became the insignificant intro for him as I suspected. Yet I still remain an ardent fan of his work in Ashta Chamma, Malleshwari, Ready and Godavari to name a few. A talented dialogue writer [Gaayam 1]and playwright, he makes any shade of grey appealing.


 


Brahmaji is not seen as often nowadays but I loved him in Ninne Pelladatha and Athadu. Yes, its the comedy side of him that I adore more but that is surely not the only side of him. His performance in Sindooram and Gulabi put him on the map for me and he is one actor that surely deserves more than what he been getting. 




I think it would be safe to say alongwith me, a lot of people took noticed to this curly haired  actor in Ayan. Jagan's origin is unknown to me so if you have any info on this guy, please do share. At present, he is the only reason why I am interested in watching Nil Gavani Sellathey. I'm hoping he becomes one of the multi-faceted actors in Tamil Cinema and not just a sidekick but even as one he stands out. Even if his character wasn't developed well enough in Ayan, for a good portion, he is what drives the story forward.





I don't know about you but I mistook Shafi to be an oddball in Chatrapthi the first time I saw it but in all honesty, he is perfect as the oddball with a grudge. He was apart of Nandita Das' Nandi winner Kamli which I am waiting to release here. But till then I have Khaleja. Trust me, beyond Mahesh[now thats a big distraction] I watched it just for his disciple-following-his-saviour act. He adds another dimension to the film within his limited role as Siddhappa.





How can I forget the first time I saw Rao Ramesh in Kotha Bangaru Lokam. Completely unaware of his heirtage [Son of late Rao Gopal Rao], as usual I thought he was a newbie and thought to myself this guy has spunk. Then I saw him in Avakai Biryani as the village head/villain. From a cool professor to the village bum dictator, I was stunned it was the same person. But this man has more surprises each time he comes on screen. Would love to see him flaunt his comic timing a bit more but the sinister side still has amazing appeal. A baddie that looks half decent in an older man way [Reminds me of a younger Prakashraj, before the massive paunch]


But this list doesn't stop here. As you may have noticed there aren't any females in my list.. That is for another post. But for now, these are a few guys that I feel make it happen and this is my way of saying thanks.

[Part 1 of 3 part series]

4 comments:

  1. I love how this post is dedicated to those who need more love. Thanks for the shoutout and isn't Srihari full of awesomeness anyways? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. He's just so underrated. Really want him to branch out more..

    And thank YOU for the shoutout!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the metaphor of all of the character actors as baby's breath and greenery in the bouquet! There are a bunch of people on this list that I've seen, but I didn't know who they were so this is really helpful.

    Also, I have to chime in with huge love for Manivannan. Kandukondain Kandukondain was one of the first Indian movies I saw, and he was so great in that. Then when I started to really get into SI films, I loved him so much in Majaa. Glad to hear that he's a nice guy in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seriously is adorable! :D <3 It made my think through the little people who make a HUGE difference in the southern industry :) Nice one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Who's Online