Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Manmadhudu Marathon

Holidays are a great time to catch up on movies you've missed. In my case, I got a chance to watch some old Nagarjuna flicks, courtesy of my own scavanging and a DVD combo with his latest Ragada. Unlike my usual review, this is total fangirl type reviewing so I am more biased than usual. I will attempt to be tame but no promises :P First up was Ragada but since I have already reviewed it, we move on to the next. [But I must say he looked awesome in Ragada :)]



So we continue on with a classic that was Allari Alludu. A film about the common man teaching a lesson to his Goliath or in this case, a son avenges his father honour by becoming the son-in-law of the enemy. Nag really looks like he is having fun instead of acting. Meena and Nagma add the glamour in desi and non-style respectively. But in all honesty, I kind of felt the film's item number with Ramya Krishnan had more appeal than the two. But that could be from the chemistry they share. Anyways, main man Nag is his mass-ive best in this film with his trusty sidekick Brahmanandam. Don't look for logic, since in most cases, there is none. A fun flick with ample dosage of everything including overacting sentimental scenes and flying fights scenes. Classic stuff.



Next up was Hello Brother. I saw this film first in Tamil and loved it to smithereens. Then found out it was a dubbed film and since normal CDs were hard to come by at the time, I had no chance of finding the music for it. A totally fun, revenge comedy that is based on one of Jackie Chan's flicks, I think the adaptation is perfect for our kind of cinema. And the fact it went to Hindi with Salman Khan is a double treat. Twins lost at birth must come together to stop a revenge that will cost them their individual families and their father's life. Forgetting the logic once again, the lovelies include Ramya who is vivacious and fun as Mangatayaru and Soundarya who is adorably innocent as Ooha. Even if its one song, we also have Aamani, Indraja and Rambha shaking it up. Apparently this is the first time Rambha was seen on screen for the Kannipettaro song. Brahmi and Sri Hari aren't the only comedians with Mallikarjun, Kota Srinivasa Rao and host of others coming in to add to the drama. If the dialogue has you in splits, the songs will get your feet tapping and humming away. 



After suggestion flew back and forth on twitter from my dear friend Navya and go-to info person/freelance writer Hemanth, comes Gharana Bullodu. Another film that I saw it Tamil first and feel in love with the songs more than the movie at that tender age that I can't even remember. But the tunes of Bheemavaram Bulloda and Adhirindiro are definitely hummable even now for anyone. Of course it another David-Goliath kind of story but more than recapping the film, I watched it to bring back the Surru Summaipoddhi dialogue that was made famous by this film. Aamani and Ramya Krishnan play the leading ladies with Aamani silently going the background after a while and Ramya Krishnan taking over. I still remember nagging my mum for the silver skirt that she wore in Jaabilli. Another mass film from Nag but just as enjoyable if you forget the logic again. However I think this one showcases a more flexible Nag in Bheemavaram. No? Or maybe thats me going gaga again. :D



The last but never ever least that I had time for [considering I started in the morning on the previous day and was still up and running 28 hours later] was Ninne Pelladatha. This has to be one of my most watched films top 5 but even now equally enjoyed film. My mum felt this had a bit of DDLJ in it but I frankly didn't care. Nag and Tabu have some amazing chemistry that at certain point I had to turn the fan on for how hot they were. I know he had a mullettish thing happening but he pulled it off for the most part. And seriously, can Tabu be any more elegant and fun at the same time? But yet again, the love started in Tamil so kudos to the lyricists and writers. With either version, you still could find me in tears from laughter or drama [yes, I'm that emotional]. But what can I say. Its a family drama about two families that are split by one marriage and rejoined by another. Lots of fun, laughs, and great music. A total family entertainer and this time for a change no Ramya Krishnan.


So thats the list. Nothing major in terms of heavy duty stories but each one keeps your attention and entertains years after the films were released. But it did get me thinking that they don't make actresses like Ramya Krishnan or Tabu or the late and my beloved Soundarya anymore. Sad since I love them so much. On another train of thought, I felt in one way Nag's influence is bigger in the Tamil industry during those years since there were constant dubbed releases that reached overseas shores but this could have also been because of many never reaching the corner shop. Regardless, he is one actor you can depend on for big class and bigger mass flicks. Wonder how I am going to handle it when he retires.. :( But thats another matter to deal with IF it happens. Hope you enjoyed reading. If you haven't caught any of these films, make a trip online or to your local and BUY a copy. But don't forget to leave your thinking caps aside to enjoy the Manmadhudu Madness.


2 comments:

  1. What a fun marathon! I realize that I'm a sucker for Nagarjuna movies--even if the movie is so-so, he's so likeable that I always enjoy it. I just watched "Azad", and at the end Nag's character ends up with Shilpa Shetty instead of Soundarya, and I was so infuriated. Sounds like I'll have to watch "Hello Brother" to see a happy ending for a Nagarjuna-Soundarya couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is undeniable, isnt he? Kind of feel bad for his kids. Whether its Chaitu or Akhil they have a big set of shoes to fill. But Hello Brother is definitely a must-see. Fun to the max capacity. Ridiculous humour and senty scenes galore but still awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Who's Online