Sunday, October 10, 2010

Back to the Roots..

Turbulent times during my childhood usually had me running to the playground or running to the tv. More specifically the VHS player for my favourite collection of flicks. Considering my age, it didn't make a difference whether these films fared well or not. I loved the acting, the sets, the songs and the story. So every time I went to watch these films, it was not a skip to the chapter I wanted. It was a start to finish watch filled with the same laughter, the same tears, the same anger for the baddie and the same dancing [my little mind had decided different steps would not make it for that song]. So while I nagged my dear friend Prathna to write a list of her favourite Prithviraj flicks and commented on most of the posts on another darling friend Louella's blog, it got me thinking about the flicks that I survived my childhood on. And maybe even built my personality on.




As usual, Thalaivar Superstar is my first point of call. His comic timing, his acting, his ishtyle. He's an one man army that tackles all the baddies, controls the comedians and romances the beauties. For me, there was never a day that I could not watch his Dharmathin Thalaivan and laugh hysterically at his absentminded professor/drunken goon act. He made it look possible to tackle a giant of a man by simply splashing water in his face and bashing him black and blue with gold bricks in a fanny pack. Yet at the same time, forgets where he lives. Yes, this is a remake of Amitabh Bachchan's Kasme Vaade but nativity added to the enjoyment of this film. And its Rajnikanth. DOT!

Don't ask me why or how I got it. All I remember was the stomach cramps I got from laughing at the kids in the film when they played their pranks. Of course as I grew older I understood the message of hope, acceptance and forgiveness, but Shamili,Tarun and Shruthi were so adorable. My mother recalls me asking for my own "Anjali papa".  One thing for sure, I still cry till this day when watching Revathi's turmoil as her own child is scared to come close to her. For a 4 year old, I don't know how much of her character Shamili understood when doing it but she underplays it well.




Prabhu has always been a bankable hero in my books. I was forever comparing him to my brother since they both have the squinting effect when smiling or laughing. This is back when Prabhu was in his prime and my brother still had hair but I wasn't the only one as my mother dearest loved Prabhu as well as he reminded her of him too [I have since learnt I am worse with the squinting but that's another topic]. So with the powerhouse performer and the rib-tickling screenplay by Visu, you're sure to be entertained by Kavalan Avan Kovalan. For all the stories of two people looking alike but not having a single thing to do with each other, this is one of my favourites. A simpleton teaches the hot shot a lesson storyline has been done before I know, but the appeal lies in how Visu, who plays a  role himself, brings the characters together.




Malluvetti Mainnar may not be perfect but it sustained an interesting plot for your average pot-boiler. Whats more the film has powerhouse performers Shobana, Seetha and Sathyaraj in it. Although he now seems to be making a career at the expense of others, this film was at a time that Sathyaraj was taken seriously as a hero. For a simple plot of the village casanova becoming a "ekha pathini virathan" or one-woman man, it was handled well. The thing that really drew me was the witty one-liners and the child-artiste Mahendran that plays Sathyaraj's son. Pure comic genius in a tiny body that sometimes overshadowed Sathyaraj!






During a phase when the above mentioned Sathyaraj still did villain roles, I fell in love with Kakki Chattai. Yes, its another commercial pot-boiler but this is Kamal Hassan we are talking about. Like Rajni, his aura is just superb and he was still quite handsome back then. Again, we deal with your average joe who dreams of being a police officer but the chemistry between Ambika and Kamal is just amazing. I dont really know how many films they had done by the time I watched this but I thought they were perfect for each and should get married then I found out he was already married  [Oh well, I loved his on screen presence anyway]. I must mention Madhavi in this one. Total Bomb of a lady and she looks alluring and acts well so its not a one sided show with Kamal stealing all the credit in their scenes. Mum recalls again me aping Madhavi in the Poo Potta Thavani track. Looking at it now, I don't remember how but I'll leave that to the imagination of a child.




Now this is a funny fact. I saw Unnal Mudiyum Thambi before Kakki Chattai even though chronologically its after. But considering Kakki Chattai was released in 1985, i doubt I would know what I am watching at that age [barely 1!!]. This movie's soundtrack is honestly the main reason I re-watched it so much. The concept was so beautifully told with the carnatic backdrop but without being a total carnatic lesson. My absolute favourite song though is Enna Samayalo. With the classic Balachandar touch, the story of a man torn between his own ideals on life and society, and living up to the expectations of his father has an appeal to it that doesn't make it a total preachfest. Kamal Hassan at his simple best with Gemini Ganesan. I had only recently found out that a flick that I've been looking forward to but have no luck in finding, Rudraveena [Chiranjeevi and Shobana] is UMT's Telugu remake that won 2 National Awards for its music.



Where would I have been without them? I don't know. But I'm sure my then night-shift-working-mother would have been up the creek without a paddle. Being a vivacious child with an imagination that made all efforts around the house "helping mum out" [i.e. pots are broken, drinks spilt or food on the floor], I would have found something else to do. But movies were what I resorted to and out all of the hours I spent in front of the tv, I think I absorbed more than just the storylines. But am I alone?

3 comments:

  1. u r certainly not alone darling.Because i had the same love for movies that u had since childhood!! And in my case its in my genes!!! cos Everyone in my family is a movie buff!!hehe;) but obviously my language was different though..r should i say languages- telugu,hindi and kannada!!
    off all the movies u mentioned the only one i have watched was.. well ANJALI of course. and guess what if i ever made a post like this..it would certainly feature in my favs list too!! cos i share similar memories of the movie!! i was pretty much the age of Anjali papa(shyamili) when the film released!and i remember how everyone would call me Anjali papa then!! and ilayaraja's songs oh my god-the title track and Something something-my favs.i m spellbound by the performances of the Shyamili,Tarun and shruthi even when i watch it now.so much of maturity in their performance at such a young age..unbelievable!! but the real genius here is Mani Ratnam!!
    Anyways..Very nice post dear:) keep it up.cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminded me of my childhood influences out of which prominently were the films of Mani Ratnam!!I still remember the day I watched Anjali film 2nd Show (Sandhya 35MM Theatre in RTC Cross Roads,Hyd) and before the show we were waiting for the 1st show crowd to come out. I could strikingly remember every person irrespective of age were coming out wiping their tears..such was the influence of Anjali film on everybody those days!!

    What can be said about Dharmatthin Thalaivan?Thenmadhurai song remains to be my all time favourites even now..whether its due to ILaiyaraaja's music or Suhasini's great presence!!

    Unnal Mudiyum Thambi/Rudraveena need much more than a comment to analyze and discuss over:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @navya Lol! i know what you mean re UMT/ Rudraveena.. Brilliance on celluloid for sure..

    Its sad we dont have these kind of stories more often nowadays. I mean, they are either art house or not enough focus on the emotion.

    ReplyDelete

Who's Online